Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: MovieStuff Transfers: Open for Bidness'

  1. #1
    jocko
    Guest jocko's Avatar

    Post

    RANK WHO?
    GO Roger!....Man, is this guy a genius or what?

    Neil
    Jocko Films

    ------------------

  2. #2
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    Thank you! (though the moniker "genius" is HIGHLY debatable)

    I must admit here and now that the name "DV8" is not original. SOMEone on this board suggested the name during the WorkPrinter's temporary identity crisis, months ago. I don't remember who suggested it and, frankly, am too lazy to search through the archives to find out. But I remember thinking it was a damned good name so, whoever it was out there, I really appreciate the suggestion!

    A little more about the unit:

    For starters, my wife will handling most all of the transfers. She is an ace colorist and has a MUCH better eye than me for color correction. Her name is Annette and after I revamp my website, she will be the "go to" person for all transfers (I'm much too busy playing catch up on WorkPrinter orders!).

    Second, this unit is based on the same principle as the WorkPrinter; namely that each frame is absolutely stationary during transfer with no shutter and no movement of any kind. I have dubbed this function "PulseGate" technology (clever, huh?). The end result is zero flicker, rock solid registration more stable than a Rank.

    Next, the DV8 uses an "open air" architecture where the film avoids any type of channels or surfaces that might scratch the film. The gate touches only the outer edges of the film, well away from the picture area. Also, as seen in this photo, I designed special rollers that have O-Ring inserts for the film to ride on.

    rollers

    Again, the rubber O-Rings only touch the edges of the film, making scratches virtually impossible.

    I am still finalizing my pricing but, as always, it is my goal to offer something that is super cost effective (read cheap) for the super 8 and 8mm user. As the name implies, I will be transferring primarily to miniDV but can also transfer to VHS, SVHS and, on special order, BetaSP.

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  3. #3
    avortex
    Guest avortex's Avatar

    Talking

    Roger... I'm very impressed too. But, as always, I would like to know if you will make PAL transfers with this wonderful unit. All european filmmakers like me will love you.



    ------------------

  4. #4
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Courier, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by avortex:
    Roger... I'm very impressed too. But, as always, I would like to know if you will make PAL transfers with this wonderful unit. All european filmmakers like me will love you.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

    I'm feeling the love already.

    I'm thinking of exporting footage as numbered still sequences for PAL use. Kind of cumbersome I suppose but would avoid the entire NTSC/PAL problem as it would simply be an animated sequence that the PAL user would import and render out on their computer. There would be a slight difference in resolution between PAL and NTSC but not much to speak of.

    Roger


    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  5. #5
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    nodal head

    This object is:
    A) Gyroscope from old Soviet MIG
    B) Paint shaker from Home Depot
    C) Nodal Point Remote Head from the DV8 Transfer Unit

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

    [This message has been edited by MovieStuff (edited February 18, 2002).]

  6. #6
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    gears

    This object is:
    A) Transmission from a '57 Edsel
    B) Gear box from a circa 1924 Maytag
    C) Frame Capture Timing assembly from the DV8 Transfer Unit



    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  7. #7
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    machine

    This object is:
    A) Reel to Reel deck from Elvis's studio
    B) Univac Computer from 1972
    C) The DV8 Transfer Unit

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  8. #8
    MovieStuff
    Guest MovieStuff's Avatar

    Post

    ad big

    More info to come! Stay tuned.....

    Roger

    ------------------
    Roger Evans
    MovieStuff
    http://www.afterimagephoto.tv/moviestuff.html

  9. #9
    Steve Mick
    Guest Steve Mick's Avatar

    Post

    Roger,

    I may be a S8 newbie, but I think the entire S8 community owes you a debt of gratitude for both your support on forums like this and your inventive transfer solutions.

    As for your Transfer service, I'll gladly be one of the first in line.

    Thanks,

    Steve Mick

    ------------------

  10. #10
    Jean Poirier
    Guest Jean Poirier's Avatar

    Post

    This is great. Will film spliced with w?rker tapes will be strong enough?
    Many many thanks.

    ------------------

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •